Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


When do I need to file an affidavit?

You must file an affidavit for each child you will be homeschooling when he or she is of compulsory school age, which is from the time the child’s parents elect to have the child enter school, which shall not be later than at the age of eight years., until the age of seventeen years 24 P.S. §13-1327, you must file an affidavit when you begin the home education program and annually thereafter by August 1st.

Where can I get an affidavit form?

Affidavit forms may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of Education Circular. Also, NPSD provides a form within its Home Education Program Information Packet, or you may create your own affidavit, following the requirements in the home education law. 24 P.S. 13-1327.1(b11). In the case of a student with a disability, you will also need to refer to 24 P.S. 13-1-322 (d) which lists additional requirements.

What should I attach to the affidavit?

Attachments to the affidavit must include an outline of the educational objectives arranged by subject matter, evidence that the child has been immunized in accordance with the provisions of law, and evidence that the child has received the health and medical services required for students of the child’s age or grade level.

What constitutes evidence for immunization and health records?

Parents may provide evidence in one of three ways: (1) a copy of the child’s medical records, (2) a letter from the physician stating that the requirements have been satisfied, or (3) a statement of religious exemption for these two requirements.

What are the health requirements for homeschooled students?

Students in home education programs are required to be immunized in accordance with law and regulations of the Secretary of Health. 24 P.S. §13-1303a and 28 Pa. Code 23.83-84. Students in home education programs are also required to receive the health and medical services required for students of the child’s age or grade level. Each child of school must be given an annual vision test, a hearing test and shall be measured and weighed. 24 P.S. §14-1401 et sec. Home education families may use the Department of Health’s form to have a medical examination and comprehensive appraisal of his or her health at the following times:
➢ When beginning the home school program
➢ While enrolled in sixth grade
➢ While enrolled in eleventh grade
➢ When he/she is issued a farm or domestic service permit

(A medical examination is not necessary at the above points in time if an examination was obtained within previous four months)

Also, each child must have a dental examination at the following times:
➢ When beginning the home school program
➢ While enrolled in third grade
➢ While enrolled in seventh grade
➢ When he/she is issued a farm or domestic service permit

What are Section III (Criminal History or Act 34) requirements for the Affidavit?

The supervisor of the home program must certify on the affidavit that the supervisor, all adults living in the home and persons having legal custody of the child have not been convicted of the criminal offenses listed in the School Code. 24 P.S. §1-111(e) contains a complete list of these offenses.

What are the Curriculum requirements?

The home education law specifies the subjects that must be taught at elementary and secondary grade levels. 24 P.S. §13-1327.1(c and d)

When does my child need standardized tests?

Students in grades 3, 5, 8 must be given a nationally normed standardized achievement test in reading/language arts and mathematics or the P.S.S.A. The results of these tests must be maintained in their portfolios. 24 P.S. §13-1327.1 (e) (1)

What standardized tests fulfill that requirement?

Pennsylvania Department of Education has established a list of nationally normed standardized tests which fulfill this requirement, per law. The list is maintained on the Department’s Home Education Program website.

Can my child have special accommodations when taking the nationally normed or state tests?


You are responsible for determining whether the test publisher allows for accommodations on the particular test you’ve chosen and to ensure that the publisher’s policies are followed.

What must I submit at the end of each school year?

An evaluator’s certification stating that an appropriate education is occurring for the school year under review must be provided to the superintendent of the public school district of residence by June 30th of each school year.

What are the home education requirements for students with disabilities?

The supervisor of a home education student who has been identified as needing special education services pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), must have a certified special education teacher or licensed clinical certified school psychologist’s approval prior to the commencement of the home education program. This requirement does not apply to students who have been identified as gifted or talented. 24 P.S. §13-1327(d)

What responsibilities does the school district have for students with disabilities?

If you believe your child is disabled and in need of special education services, but has not been evaluated, the school district in which you reside is required to evaluate the child, without charge, when you make such a request in writing.

Are there any organizations of homeschooling families that serve my area?

Pennsylvania Department of Education has developed a list of Home Organizations Serving Pennsylvania Families. These are regional, statewide and national associations and agencies which provide a variety of services to homeschooling families. These statewide and regional organizations often keep a list of support groups which serve a smaller geographic area, such as a city or township.

How does a homeschooled child receive a high school diploma?

Although the school district does not issue a diploma to a student in home education programs, other diplomas may be available:

➢ A student be awarded a diploma by his/her home education program supervisor (the diploma shall be on a standardized form developed by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and signed by the student’s twelfth grade evaluator).
➢ A student may be awarded a diploma by a diploma-granting organization that has been approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.

If a child is enrolled in a public or private school after homeschooling, how is it determined to which grade level the child is assigned, and/or what high school credits will be awarded?

The law does not speak to this question. The school district of residence, or the private school in which the child enrolled, will determine the grade to which the student will be assigned and/or the high school credits earned for home education work, pursuant to district policy.